What is a Dental Implant?
Dental implants are titanium screws that come in a number of shapes and sizes, in both diameter & length depending on the requirements of the situation. They function by being directly inserted into the jawbone.
After being placed, the implants are given time to properly heal and fuse with the jawbone in a process known as Osseointegration. This process typically takes between three to six months to finish after the the dental restoration has been placed.
This titanium implant is placed in the jawbone by following a proper diagnostic and surgical protocol without causing any discomfort to the patient. Among all the dental treatment options available, dental implant restorations have shown highest rate of success for replacement of missing teeth.
They look and function just like real teeth, and can last for years with proper care. If dental implants are the route that you’re considering to fill any gaps due to missing teeth, then you need a trained and experienced professional to perform the procedure – you need someone like Dr. Roya Arbab in Hermosa Beach.
CONTACT US for a consultation to evaluate your options. Call us @ 310 374 8901
Why a Dental Implant is needed?
- If you have had any teeth extracted, the bone will naturally begin to resorb and reshape. Dental implants are able to replicate the stimulation provided by your natural tooth roots, helping prevent further bone resorption.
- The loss of teeth can have a major effect on your facial appearance and ability to chew food.
- The neighboring teeth can be negatively affected by any gap left by a missing tooth, which leads to teeth shifting – which only makes the mal-aligned teeth more vulnerable to further cracking and fracture.
- Implants can help stop further supra-eruption of natural teeth in the opposite arch, which can happen when their is an absence of antagonist teeth.
Advantages of Dental Implants
- Helps maintain bone level in and around the initial implant site.
- Help to restore proper chewing of food.
- Will not require preparation or grinding of any adjacent natural teeth on either side of the gap.
- Implants supported dentures (whether they are fixed or removable) are more consistent and durable – there’s no need for any type of adhesives to retain the dentures.
- Helps to maintain the overall appearance of your face and stop sunken cheeks.
- Same Day Dental Implants give patients the opportunity to have their implants inserted in the very same day as the original teeth are extracted.
Can Anyone Get a Dental Implant Placed?
- All potential Implant candidates will need to have overall good oral hygiene maintenance.
- If the patient is suffering from diabetes or any other recurring medical concern that requires medication must be careful before they receive dental implants – though it does not necessarily rule out the dental implant treatment, as long as the condition is under control and can’t lead to some type of surgery risk.
- An examination by a dentistry professional will determine if the patient has enough dense jaw bone; if not, then an artificial bone graft will be placed at the surgical site.
- The patient must not suffer from any form of periodontal disease.
- The patient must not smoke or must be willing to give up smoking, especially during the Osseointegration process.(when the implants are fusing with the jawbone).
- Patient must be in good overall health.
- Any patient who wants to pursue dental implants as a dentistry option must be motivated to commit themselves to healthy lifestyle habits, good oral hygiene regimen, and routine post-surgical visits to their dentist.
Dental implants are not Recommended if:
- Patient is suffering from a number of certain medical conditions that could potentially create serious postoperative complications during the surgery; for example:
- Patient is currently undergoing treatment for cancer or certain bone diseases
- Patient is following certain immunosuppressive therapies for organ transplant
- Dental implant procedures are typically not recommended for children, since their jawbones have not finished developing and growing.
Special Cases Dental Implant Treatment
Occasionally, patients may need to get certain preparatory procedures before the implants can be placed. If the patient has a deficient amount of jawbone, it may be necessary for the patient to receive a bone graft, strengthening the patient’s jawbone to create a base for your implant placement. If you need to receive a bone grafting, the length and waiting period to let your bones heal between procedures can be anywhere from 6 to even 9 months.
It usually will take somewhere between 4 to 6 months for the gums and bone to completely fuse around the dental implant, as a part of the process known as Osseointegration.
While the patient recovers, they will have to meet their dentist for a number of appointments so as to assess the overall healing of surgical site.
In the meanwhile, the experts at our resident dental lab will create a customized restoration for your teeth, which should be prepared for replacement after the site has healed completely .
How to Maintain Post Surgical Care & Oral Hygiene
- Special medically approved brushes and dental floss can help clean difficult to reach parts of your implant restorations.
- Make sure to schedule routine dental exams and cleanings.
- With proper aftercare and hygiene, your dental implants could last the rest of your life.
So what are you waiting for? Set up an appointment with Roya Arbab DDS today, and receive a consultation and examination. Dental implants might be exactly what you need to help repair and restore your smile. Fill form